Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Breakfast for Dinner: CSA Hash & Eggs

Each winter I get the most rockin' CSA ever from the Intervale Food Hub. Not only is it chock full of amazing local produce from a long list of local farms, but it is also delivered to my office. Hello, lazy! Eating locally in the spring, summer, and fall is pretty easy - I'm a member of the best co-op of all time, Burlington is full of great farmers' markets, and I have a community garden plot around the corner from my apartment. However, winter is long, cold, dark, and snowy up here in Vermont, and the CSA helps me eat my weight in root vegetables and stay locally-focused when lettuce from California looks extra appealing.

Sometimes I'm not so great at working my way through all the veggies each week and last night I found myself with quite the backlog. I live with two other people who also happen to eat food that needs to be refrigerated, so when my beet stash started to take up most of the fridge, I figured it was time for an intervention. Enter, veggie hash and eggs.



The great thing about hash is that you can throw any variety of veggies, herbs, and cheese you have floundering in the back of your fridge into a skillet and it comes out delicious. It's sort of the "clean out the fridge soup" of breakfast. In my case I had purple potatoes, yukon potatoes, kale, a red onion, carrots, parsnips, beets, brussel sprouts, and a lone turnip. Really, though, you could put anything in there. Same goes for herbs. I have some thyme and rosemary growing in a windowsill, so I threw some of that in there. Dill or basil would be equally lovely.


Gather up your vegetables and herbs, 2-4 eggs, and some cheese. I used a mixture of cheddar and a hard parmesan-like cheese that was un-labeled and thus unidentified. Chop up the veggies into any size you'd like; I shredded the beets and diced up everything else. Then we boil up the starchy vegetables, cook everything in a skillet until they're somehow melty and crispy all at once, crack a few eggs into the mixture, melt some cheese on top, douse the whole thing in hot sauce, pour a beer, turn on an episode of "30 Rock" and call it a night. Mondays are hard and Liz Lemon and breakfast for dinner are here to make it easier.


CSA Hash & Eggs 
a.k.a clean out the dang fridge!
makes 4 servings
adapted from Everybody Likes Sandwiches

Ingredients:
4 potatoes (any potato will do), diced
2 medium carrots, chopped into small coins
2 medium parsnips, chopped into small coins
1 turnip, diced
2 beets, shredded
1 large handful brussel sprouts, chopped in half
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red onion, diced
1 handful kale
1-2 teaspoon herbs, minced (I went with rosemary and thyme)
4 large eggs
grated cheese (any kind that will melt well, like cheddar or mozzarella)

In a medium sized pot, bring water to boil and add in potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and turnips (any of your harder, starchy vegetables). Let simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are just tender. Drain and set aside.

While those vegetables are boiling, in a large skillet, heat oil and add onion and brussel sprouts (any remaining vegetables except shredded ones or greens). Stir around until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add beets, kale, and herbs (any remaining vegetables and herbs) and stir to let everything get a bit toasty, about 2 minutes. Stir in the boiled vegetables, and cook until things get slightly golden. Make shallow wells in the vegetables (you shouldn't see the pan) and crack in the eggs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and let sit until the egg whites are mostly cooked, about 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle with grated cheese, cover, and let sit until the cheese is melted, about 1 minute. Top with fresh herbs and hot sauce. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. Could it also be called Rainbow Hash & Eggs? Beautiful assortment of veggies. I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have a blog now and I will have to try out your recipe. This has inspired me to restart my blog and perhaps we can start a hilarious podcast in a year or so... watch out Tracy and Joy!

    ReplyDelete